In the old wild west of America, Nesters was the name given to squatters, homesteaders, or farmers who settled in cattle-grazing territory, fencing off the open grazing land of the ranchers and creating another range war to be eventually settled by the blazing guns of that all American hero John Wayne… well that’s that’s how I remember it anyway
So what has that to do with this story? Be patient, all will be revealed shortly The next day we were back at the van removing more doors more panels and 2 mirrors without breaking either – and I, at least, was relieved about that – both were stuck on with double sided tape which stuck quite well, we used a combination of a bread knife, a saw and the tip of my finger pressure underneath the mirror edges.
The toilet floor had been fitted with parquet blocks, different I suppose but they had to come up and they did, right after we got the toilet walls down. The next job on the agenda was the removal of the “fireplace” and display cabinet (although we had none of the doors for it), we removed it from the bottom upwards – the problem with caravans is that they are built from the inside outwards which means the ceiling is stapled to the top of the furniture – so removing the bottom first was the easy option and it worked, once we had got the bottom out the way it was just a case of unscrewing the top part and prying it from the ceiling, except I was greeted with a cry of
“you’re pulling the ceiling down” I wasn’t but what was left when the cabinet came down was the object pictured on the left: a wasps nest, fortunately although there were some wasps in it they were all dead, they had obviously got in through the open Truma exhaust vent and made their home between the ceiling and the top of the cabinet. Well had it been a live nest I think we may have had a problem, but it wasn’t and so we carefully removed the nest and kept it.
One of the things that did concern me was the scorch mark running up the wall that you can see in the picture on the right: it’s the thick curvy line that you can see, it actually carries on up the wall to the exit point throough the roof badly scorching the plastic trim as you can see in the next picture.
The wall has actually been coated in this picture and was taken at a later time, but the plastic ceiling trim had not been replaced but it clearly shows a very overheated bit of plastic that when removed was very brittle, I wonder just how this happened, whether it was a faulty fire or whether it was a normal occurrence for these fires, however either way there wasn’t a Truma going back into the caravan as firstly they took up too much room and secondly I no longer trusted them
Having removed the Nesters we moved on to taking the seating out, again I still hadn’t made up my mind what to do with it but the covering was in very bad condition so at the very least we would have to re-cover it. Some of it was still covered in protective plastic.
It was while removing the seating that we found some evidence of the original owners, photographs and calendar pages and a few cards from a happy families pack – all in French so it was looking as though our Tabbert first started life in France – perhaps we would find out more…
We took a picture of the ceiling board pattern, as we thought we may have to source some at some stage to fill in where we were removing something from like a rooflight for example.
Finally we had this load of doors to find a home for on a temporary basis, each had to be rubbed down, repaired if required and then coated – either stain and varnish or a wax stain – we hadn’t yet decided. Then there was all the stuff we didn’t require that had to go to the tip sorry recycling centre, well the doors would go home tonight, the tip run(s) would happen tomorrow as the last job of the year, Thursday, New Years Eve, was going to be spent partying – see you in 2010